Made a little graduation celebration cake for my friend who just finished schooling to become an RN. This recipe is based on the basic cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.
I baked 24 mini cupcakes then decided to make a mini 5″ cake with the rest of the batters.
|1||cup rice milk|
|1||tsp. apple cider vinegar|
|1¼||cups all-purpose flour|
|¾||tsp. baking powder|
|½||tsp. baking soda|
|1/3||cup grapeseed oil|
|2||tsp. vanilla extract|
|¼||tsp. almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the rice milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.
- Beat together the rice milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Pour into mini spring form pan and bake for 20 minutes. Put a cookie sheet on the next rack down to catch any drips. Make chocolate layer while this is baking! Remember, I made 24 mini cupcakes as well as the cake so do that too or use a larger spring form pan!! Or put the whole batch in a 9″ cake pan and bake each layer for 25 minutes.
1 cup rice milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together the rice milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the rice milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour our over the vanilla layer and bake for another 25-30 or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before removing from spring form.
This is all about how chocolately you like your icing.
Scant 1/3 cup of coconut oil melted
1/8-1/4 cup cocoa
scant 1/8 cup of honey or sweetened more to taste
Put the coconut oil in a bowl then into another larger bowl and fill large bowl with kettle boiled water to just liquify the oil. If you heat it too much it will cook the cocoa and you will be left with a paste rather than a glaze. Add honey, stir well. Add cocoa stir well and make sure all cocoa lumps are smooshed. Taste and make sure it is sweet and chocolaty to your liking then pour over cake which should be sitting on your decorative serving plate. Pop in the freezer for a 5 minutes to make the glaze harden. This glaze will melt if left out for too long.
make some strawberry chocolate skewers if you have any left over chocolate glaze!